Birmingham City University has over 45 years’ experience in training people to become social workers in the super-diverse and cosmopolitan city of Birmingham. If you already have a degree and want to become a professional social worker, successful completion of this generic course will enable you work with children and adults in a variety of areas and to apply for registration with the regulator, Social Work England, to obtain the protected title of social worker.
Once you are registered, you will be immediately ready and able to engage in social work with any vulnerable citizen group in any setting. This includes working with children and families, adults, disabled people, older people and/or people with mental health problems in the local authority, health, or private, independent or voluntary sectors.
What’s covered in the course?
You will experience student-centred academic learning on campus and practice-based learning in a service delivery setting, in the community.
Academic learning will include a carefully blended mix of face to face lectures, workshops and seminars, complemented by online resources. In addition to practitioners and academics from other relevant disciplines, teachers include experienced social work academics, practitioners, who are currently in practice and service users and carers who are experts by experience. They will assist you to obtain the knowledge, skills, values and professional capabilities you need for successful social work practice in today’s world. This includes legal, theoretical and research knowledge, the core skills of reflection, assessment, communication, resilience, report writing and leadership, and the values of being empowering, person-centred, strengths-based, results and outcomes focused.
Half of the programme involves gaining invaluable direct practice experience through placements, provided by our practice partners and overseen by our dedicated practice tutors. You will experience two placements one in year 1 and the second in year 2. Whilst on placement you will be supported by a qualified practice educator who will always be a registered social worker.
Our practice partners include Local Authorities and established private, independent and voluntary sector agencies. There are a number of innovative projects that allow you to experience social work in the growing area of educational settings.
Our experienced academic staff have worked in a variety of social work teams and settings including child and adult safeguarding, foster-care, physical and learning difficulties, sensory impairment, and mental health and hospital social work.
You will be taught at our modern City South Campus and have access to Mary Seacole library, personal development department, careers support, disability services, accommodation services, financial advice, student counselling services, students union, study spaces, laptops, skills rooms, and a variety of shops and cafes.
“This course is an exciting and welcome addition to our existing suite of highly regarded pre and post qualifying Social Work programmes.”
David Childs, Head of Department
Duration: 2 years
Tution: £13,200 per year
Why Choose BCU?
- An opportunity to study in the super-diverse and cosmopolitan city of Birmingham.
- We have over 45 years of experience in working with social work students, social workers and delivering social work education. This includes a deep commitment to pursuing excellence, and advancing human rights, social justice, equality and anti-discriminatory practice.
- You will have access to a named personal tutor who can offer academic and pastoral support throughout the programme.
- We offer a student-centered environment, and remain sensitive to your differing circumstances, aspirations, abilities, background and areas of special interest.
- You will experience high quality practice placements, inter-professional learning and opportunities to engage in international exchange.
- We are employability driven. You will have opportunities to practice at mock employment interviews and have attended a number of workshops with employers who are looking to recruit social workers. This means you will have the skills, understandings and personal attributes that make you more likely to gain employment and be successful in your chosen social work pathway
- Study in our £41 million City South Campus, with access to state-of-the-art facilities and learning environments
- Experienced and dedicated staff team will support you throughout the course, and you will have access to a personal tutor. If you’ve been away from education for a while, we also have a range of excellent resources to help you with study skills such as essay writing and research
- This course is regulated by Social Work England (SWE)
TO ENROLL AND FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
CVS PLAZA (FORMER HEROES PLACE) BLOCK B, 3RD FLOOR,
SUITE B4.5, ADEMOLA ADETOKUNBO CRESCENT, WUSE II, ABUJA-NIGERIA. 08184985733
2ND FLOOR, 78 ABAKALIKI – ENUGU EXPRESS ROAD, ABAKALIKI, EBONYI STATE. 08135884818